You're here on AppExchange.com, but what is this store all about? As your guide to all things AppExchange, I'm here to help you navigate the AppExchange ecosystem to solve your business challenges. If I don’t know the answer, I'll connect you with the right people to solve your problems. No challenge is too great, so just ask me. I am ready to help. Let's start with some commonly-asked questions.
What is AppExchange?
The AppExchange is the faster and smarter way to extend Salesforce. AppExchange has solutions customized for Salesforce, to extend Salesforce to every department and every industry. It’s a proven ecosystem with millions of installs and thousands of customer reviews to help you find the best match for your business. And AppExchange is more than business apps. You can also find components, Lightning Data and Bolt Solutions, consulting partners, and developers to help you extend the power of Salesforce. All solutions are prescreened by Salesforce to reduce risk so you and your teams can start using it faster. In addition, AppExchange gives you access to 70K+ peer reviews and lets you tap into our partners’ industry expertise that they are sharing through the Salesforce platform.
How do I install an app?
Before installing an AppExchange app into your production instance of Salesforce, it’s important that you verify the requirements and test the functionality of the app listing. It's recommended that you take the steps below before installing a listed app to your production organization.
- Check edition compatibility: Verify that the custom app that you want to download only includes components that are compatible with your Salesforce Edition.
- Check external services: If the custom app you wish to download has a reference to an external service, make sure you have access to that service. An example is an app that has links to Google Maps for account management. Access to Google Maps would be required for this service to work.
- Test drive: Most apps will have test drives available for use. As an admin or read-only user, you can take a test drive of the desired app before installing to review the core functionality.
- Installation into Developer Edition or Sandbox: Before installing the desired app into your production organization, it’s recommended that you first install the app into either a Developer Edition org or a Sandbox Edition org. Further testing the app in either of these environments will allow you to test the app beyond the constraints of a read-only user. Then you'll be able to create, edit, and delete records within this newly installed app. None of these actions are available within a test drive. You can sign up for a free Development environment here.
- If you are satisfied with the functionality of the desired app, you can install it into your production organization.
Who has access after the app is installed?
During the installation process, you'll be given the option of making the app available to all users, some users, or just admins. If you make the app only visible to admins, you can make it available to other profiles later.
Is there a limit to the number of apps I can have?
Nope! While you do have limits on the number of custom tabs and objects, but not the number of apps.
Are AppExchange apps mobile?
Yes, AppExchange has hundreds of Salesforce mobile-ready apps. In addition, many partners offer custom mobile solutions. To find mobile apps, check out the All Apps page and filter by Mobile.
What are the best apps for my department or industry?
AppExchange has ready-to-install solutions that can extend Salesforce into your industry. Whether you’re in Financial Services, Manufacturing, or Retail, there are several industry solutions for your business on AppExchange. There are actually 11 curated industry collection pages on AppExchange. Click on the Industry Collections area in the top navigation to check it out. If you don't see your industry, search for it using the top search bar, and navigate from there.
Where do I find free apps?
Did you know that 40% of all apps on AppExchange are free? To find free apps, go to the All Apps page and sort by "Free" using the filters on the left menu. Or you can use the All Apps menu to access the Free Apps collection.
What are Salesforce Labs?
Salesforce Labs apps are developed by Salesforce employees. Best of all, they are free! Just look for that fun little beaker logo. Visit the Salesforce Labs collection and meet our Salesforce Labs Evangelist.
What is the difference between managed and unmanaged packages?
Apps on AppExchange are distributed in managed or unmanaged packages. Packages are containers that hold the code and metadata associated with apps or components. Managed packages are maintained by the app provider and can be upgraded by the customer. Unmanaged packages are templates where the underlying code can be seen and changed but not upgraded. Package type is listed on an AppExchange listing.
How do AppExchange apps affect my organization limits?
To list an app publicly on AppExchange, the app must pass a security review. If a managed package passes the review, any custom apps, tabs, and objects it uses won’t count against the related limits in a customer’s organization. Additionally, a managed package that passes the review will not count against the contractual license limits of a customer’s organization. However, other limits — such as limits to the number of custom fields on an object — still apply. If the package is unmanaged, any resources it uses will count against the related limits in a customer's organization, regardless of whether it passes the security review.
What are Lightning Components and how do they help you build faster?
Lightning Components are customizable, responsive building blocks for making apps and pages. Components contain all of the code they need to run, so you can reuse them in other apps and pages. Kickstart your app building process with an out-of-the-box set of Components built by Salesforce, build your own custom Components for unique uses, and find a powerful array of Components built by Salesforce partners right here.
How do I get more info from AppExchange?
Sign up for AppExchange communications, including weekly and monthly emails highlighting new and free apps, as well as AppExchange best practices and tips for extending Salesforce to every department.
If you have a question, tweet to us at #AskAppy.
This post is authored by Appy, your AppExchange pal.
- Forrester Names Salesforce a SaaS Marketplace Leader Forrester Names Salesforce a SaaS Marketplace Leader Type Article We are excited to be named a leader in The Forrester New Wave™: SaaS Marketplaces, Q4 2018 report. In its evaluation of AppExchange, Forrester found Salesforce “remains a powerful choice in terms of scale, breadth, and innovation.”
- TimeTrade: Regroup Customer Spotlight TimeTrade: Regroup Customer Spotlight Type Article Regroup Mass Notification increased their web conversion rate by 54% with TimeTrade.
- 8 Expert Tips to Improve Employee Productivity 8 Expert Tips to Improve Employee Productivity Type Article To understand how you can encourage others to work smarter, we sat down with Conga and Dun & Bradstreet.
- AI is Coming to Dinner AI is Coming to Dinner Type Article Chris Bauserman, VP of Product & Segment Marketing at NICE inContact, shares insights on this question: is it time to put AI at the head of the table in your 2019 plans – or still run some pilots from the proverbial “little kids table”?
- Prolifiq: View Dynamic Glass Customer Spotlight Prolifiq: View Dynamic Glass Customer Spotlight Type Article Learn how View Dynamic Glass saw an 80% reduction in time spent crafting presentations with Prolifiq.