Got technical questions about AppExchange? Curious how installing an app works? Wondering how apps count against your limits? Do you have any other technical questions we can help answer? Below are some of the questions we're asked most frequently from customers looking to install from AppExchange.
How do I install an AppExchange solution?
Before installing an AppExchange solution into your production instance of Salesforce, it’s important that you verify the requirements and test the functionality of the listing. It's recommended that you take the steps below before installing a listed solution to your production organization.
- Check edition compatibility: Verify that the custom solution that you want to install only includes components that are compatible with your Salesforce edition.
- Check external services: If the custom solution you wish to install has a reference to an external service, make sure you have access to that service. An example is a solution that has links to Google Maps for account management. Access to Google Maps would be required for this service to work.
- Test drive: Most solutions will have test drives available for use. As an admin or read-only user, you can take a test drive of the desired solution before installing to review the core functionality.
- Installation into Developer Edition or Sandbox: Before installing the desired solution into your production organization, it’s recommended that you first install the solution into either a Developer edition org or a Sandbox edition org. Further testing the solution in either of these environments will allow you to test the solution beyond the constraints of a read-only user. Then you'll be able to create, edit, and delete records within this newly installed solution. None of these actions are available within a test drive. You can sign up for a free Development environment here.
- If you are satisfied with the functionality of the desired solution, you can install it into your production organization.
Who has access after the solution is installed?
During the installation process, you'll be given the option of making the solution available to all users, some users, or just admins. If you make the solution only visible to admins, you can make it available to other profiles later.
Is there a limit to the number of solutions I can have?
Nope! While you do have limits on the number of custom tabs and objects, but not the number of apps.
How do AppExchange solutions affect my organization limits?
To list a solution publicly on AppExchange, it must pass a security review. If a managed package passes the review, any custom apps, tabs, and objects it uses won’t count against the related limits in a customer’s organization. Additionally, a managed package that passes the review will not count against the contractual license limits of a customer’s organization. However, other limits — such as limits to the number of custom fields on an object — still apply. If the package is unmanaged, any resources it uses will count against the related limits in a customer's organization, regardless of whether it passes the security review.
What is the difference between managed and unmanaged packages?
Solutions on AppExchange are distributed in managed or unmanaged packages. Packages are containers that hold the code and metadata associated with apps or components. Managed packages are maintained by the provider and can be upgraded by the customer. Unmanaged packages are templates where the underlying code can be seen and changed but not upgraded. Package type is listed on an AppExchange listing.
Where do I find free solutions?
Did you know that 40% of all apps on AppExchange are free? To find free solutions, go to the All Apps page and sort by "Free" using the filters on the left menu. Or you can use the All Apps menu to access the Free Apps collection.
Are AppExchange solutions mobile?
Yes, AppExchange has hundreds of Salesforce mobile-ready solutions. In addition, many partners offer custom mobile solutions. To find mobile apps, check out the All Apps page and filter by Mobile.
- 60 Seconds With verbLIVE 60 Seconds With verbLIVE By Amanda Trickey Type Article In this 60 Seconds With video with verbLIVE, we answer the question, "How can you boost conversions with interactive webinars?"
- This Salesforce Developer is Building Free Apps This Salesforce Developer is Building Free Apps Type Article From helping with pricing and quoting, to generating opportunities, orders, and service contracts, Paul Liu's apps help Salesforce developers and partners work smarter, not harder.
- Your March 2021 AppExchange Briefing Your March 2021 AppExchange Briefing By Christian Connors Type Article This month, we’re covering how a humanitarian organization utilizes AppExchange to help millions displaced by crisis, how Royal Resorts has been transforming customer experience, and how you can support women-owned businesses with AppExchange.
- Support Women-Owned Businesses on AppExchange Support Women-Owned Businesses on AppExchange Type Article The Women-Owned and Founded Businesses on AppExchange include North American app builders (ISVs) and consultants, giving you ways to invest in underrepresented communities, and support gender equality and justice.
- Trusted Apps and Experts Landing Page Trusted Apps and Experts Landing Page Type Article Find proven apps and certified consultants to help grow your business fast, exceed customer expectations, and deliver value from anywhere.