Matt Bullock is all about fun and community. After nearly 20 years, the founder of the largest payments company in Australia, eWAY, decided it was time to jump back into the startup world again, bringing his knowledge, energy, and enthusiasm for all things Salesforce to the table to start Spinify in 2016. This CEO and founder never hesitates to talk about how he loves being part of the large Salesforce community and sharing common stories with others in the ecosystem. Learn more about Matt in this interview.
What do you love about your job? How does it fulfill your career passions?
Matt: [Spinify] is about gamifying the workplace to achieve more by engaging, motivating, and coaching. Seventy percent of the workforce is disengaged, and we want to change this by taking fundamental KPIs and making them come alive through things like dynamic animation and video. We turn work into fun for people — and making people happy and more productive at work is as good as it gets for me personally.
Tell us some of the challenges and lessons you’ve learned on your journey.
Matt: You obviously make lots of mistakes as you go – but one of the biggest ones? Not becoming an ISV partner in the beginning. I just said, “Well, what do I need to do that for?” But being able to do certain things like proactively provide upgrades of a customer’s package, plus have access to a customer’s data to make debugging quick are huge benefits that I could have leveraged.
In the initial days, there were a lot of bumps. But, if I [had become an ISV partner] in the beginning, then I would have had way fewer bumps because I would have the visibility needed. There’s a lesson.
You’ve been a user in the Salesforce world a long time — how do you keep learning?
Matt: For me, it’s no different than anyone else; trying to keep up with Salesforce is a hard thing! I have a constant thirst to learn more and also share what I have learned; talking about Salesforce is super fun, and I enjoy understanding what challenges other users face and try to solve them. Plus Trailhead, of course.
So when do you sleep?
Matt: I don’t. [laughs]
So you don’t sleep, but how are you blazing trails outside of work? What hobbies and passions fill those hours that you’re not focused on Spinify?
Matt: I’m a builder in all aspects of my life, and so Lego is my answer. What I like about Lego is I can completely focus on building something and forget about everything else. And at the end, I’ve made something. I’ve built something.
I recently built a Voltron model, and I also built the Millennium Falcon, which is the biggest Lego ever. It’s just utterly ridiculous how big that thing is and how long it took. But there’s a huge sense of accomplishment with it.
One more question: what does being a trailblazer mean to you?
Matt: It’s an honor, and it’s about helping others. I have so much to share — my mistakes, my learnings, my experiences — and at the end of the day, it’s about helping others do things a better way. All the different things that I do in life is because of what I got out of Salesforce. Salesforce is in my blood. I enjoy giving back and helping others learn about Salesforce and what you can achieve.
- Get These Fun Appy Phone Wallpapers from Salesforce AppExchange Get These Fun Appy Phone Wallpapers from Salesforce AppExchange By Holly Rushton Type Article Get the #appy-est phone background ever. Save these images to your phone and take Appy on the go.
- Did You Spot These 12 AppExchange Solutions on Trailhead? Did You Spot These 12 AppExchange Solutions on Trailhead? By Amanda Nelson Type Article Here’s a look at some of the Trailhead modules including AppExchange, and the solutions you can install for each one. Get started on the path to badges, points, and Ranger status today.
- Disrupting Health Engagement: 5 Paths to Success Disrupting Health Engagement: 5 Paths to Success Type Article Angel Leon, Head of Operations and Product at Health Hero, discusses five ways companies can disrupt health engagement.
- Find What You're Looking For With These 7 AppExchange Apps Find What You're Looking For With These 7 AppExchange Apps By Holly Rushton Type Article Celebrate our seven million installs milestone with these seven AppExchange solutions you might be looking for to solve a challenge.
- 1 AppExchange Question: 1,000+ AppExchange Responses 1 AppExchange Question: 1,000+ AppExchange Responses By Holly Rushton Type Article At TDX ‘19, we asked attendees, “What solution would you like to see on AppExchange?” and the response was positively amazing, as event attendees feverishly wrote their answers on notecards. Appy’s Brainstorm Board was completely covered, top to bottom, e